Embassy
Susan here.
It's been an important day, and we're really, really nearing the end here. Hallelujah!
Our final piece of business, apart from getting to our flights on time, was to have our exit interview at the US Embassy. "Interview" it wasn't, but it was a good experience. It was sort of like being at a DMV. A few tellers lanes, though only one window was open. A roomful of plastic chairs, and a small group of Americans finishing up Kaz adoptions. We knew all but one guy and his new son. Pete was our guy at the window, and couldn't have been nicer. From Buffalo. Long way from Buffalo alright. Anyways, he started by saying, "I reviewed your paperwork last night.... pause.... and everything looks to be in good shape." Hallelujah. This process has been such a freaking paper chase, and I said as much to the guy who agreed, calling it, more politely, "paper-intensive". Yeah. No argument there.
The experience was actually quite pleasant, except for the three photos on the wall of Condy Rice, W, and Dick Cheney. There were 3 other families there and the kids had a good time. Anyways, the guy who processed our stuff was super nice, and we wanted to hug him when he pronounced our adoption experience final, but there was this bulletproof glass barrier so Susan just put her hand on the glass like they do in the visiting scenes in prison movies. Sultan freaked out on the elevator and the guard gave him his flashlight which worked on the way up, not so much on the way down.
To celebrate we went to a cafe down the street and shared a piece of banana flavored layer cake with thick chocolate frosting on top. Susan also ordered a cup of hot chocolate, which actually was a cup of hot fudge sauce. Too, too funny. What must they think? Sultan loved it and has been off the wall ever since. Actually, it was a generally rocky day for him mood-wise. Incredible highs, a wide range of meltdowns. We figure it's sort of like the warranty running out. Now that he's officially ours, he can behave like a wicked 3 yo, instead of the super nice, super obedient little boy we met a 4 weeks ago today.
Bad news for our friends Marie and Tamas. A missing cable to the US Embassy means they couldn't have their Embassy meeting today, and won't be able to leave until the missing cable is sent from the States, and the meeting with the Embassy here is completed. They're having a bear of a time getting the INS (generator of the missing cable) to talk to the US Embassy, all while trying to orchestrate this from here. With luck, they'll leave Tuesday. What a bummer. There is always someone worse off.
Mainly we're bored and feeling isolated. Homesick and missing family and friends. The bonding has been fine but now its time to get back to our new lives. Crissy, I have Sultan signed up at WH Day Care. Assuming they can still accommodate him, he and Matty can be school buddies too. Let's definitely count on the playground date!
And one final story to wrap up the day.
After dinner, I decide to take JSW out for a walk to burn off a last bit of energy before bath & bed. One of the nice things about our location, and about Almaty in general, is that there are a whole lot of fountains in public parks, etc. We're across the street from a performance hall, a big ballet theatre, we think. Anyways, we walked over to see the "big water" tonight and the lights were on, changing the water from white to green to blue to purple and pink, etc. Really nice. And to boot, there were some loudspeakers playing the music to the ballet going on inside. It made for a really special atmosphere. At one point, I was carrying JSW and we passed under a light with a speaker, and S said "musica!" and so under that light, and that speaker, next to the rainbow light show of the fountain, I danced with him in my arms. And I felt so happy, and so full, and I got sort of teary. And I thought, this is what you dreamed of. And it's finally here, and he's yours, and it all really happened. And so I spun us around a few times, which he loved, and then I started to carry him towards home. And as we left the lights and the music and the water, JSW cut this robust fart, and gave me this look and this impish grin and this surprised "ooh!", pretty much at the same time I said the same thing. And honestly, I don't think that whole scene could have ended more perfectly. All the romance and love and happiness and gas all there. And I felt good, and we went home.
Good night all. Good Night Moon.
Love to you all.
Only one more posting, presumably. I wish someone else would start some blog so that we could all stay together virtually. It so amazing to have this web of friends which you always have had, only they're there for you everyday. It's kind of a mind blower. And really, really nice. Please let us know if we can ever return the favor.
Peace and love from both of us.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home