An Apple a Day
In an email Katie B. asked whether we had any quiet times with the boy to read a story or sit together, and whether the trip has been really emotional.
We have had some relatively quiet times with Sultan, but our visiting times are always scheduled for when one of the other families is there, so there is always some distraction, though occasionally we have colored together, or worked on something together. It's really nice.
Lately I haven't been so emotional. More just grooving up for the next day: the next snack, the next set of clothes, etc. We have been asked not to feed him apples or juice anymore because the peeing has turned into pooping, and I have just learned from the new mother here at the hotel that I should have been diluting the apple juice all along since, he probably hasn't had it before. duh. If Sultan lives thru his first few weeks with me/us as parents it will be a miracle.
I am getting a little bored here. The computer is a lifesaver, but there's usually a line and the connection is slow, etc. I've been spoiled by fast connections at work, and I can't even imagine what this would have been like without the blog and the email and all the communications back & forth!
Here are some answers to last issue's comments:
Ma, the court thing works this way-insofar as I really understand it. On Day 14 (next Thursday), they will submit the paperwork to the court for "pre-court". A date gets set a day or two or three days later (probably Monday if we are lucky). Then we go to pre-court for a 15 minute appearance and answer some basic questions. At that time the real court date gets set (Thursday? Friday?), also for a few days later. Almira has a hand in submitting the paperwork, as does Igor. Almira comes to court with us and interprets, which is something one of the other agencies does differently (using a different, unrelated translator than you have been using). I like our way better since we have a relationship with Almira. Court is supposed to be long, maybe 40 minutes of straight questioning by the judge. All three of us couples working with Frank here in country will have the same schedule. I'll appear alone, as before.
Our morning visitation time coincides with Marie and Tomas (and Baby Benjamin), and they are the Portland area couple we met up with (also using Frank Adoption in states). We will be sharing the apartment with them when that happens. In the afternoon, we share with the other couple who came in when we did: Alaina (sounds like Elena) and Andrew, from Indiana. They are adopting two infant boys: Murat/Patrick who is at baby house 1, and Calvin (I forget his Kazakh name), who has a cleft palate that needs to be repaired, but who is an absolute doll. So, we are with one couple & baby in the am and one couple & baby in the pm. But that is no hardship. We like them both and all the kids are great.
Scott, I think I agree with you on the liquid aspect. Once we are not totally overloading his system with rich items he's unused to, I think we'll be set to let him drink as much as he likes, and eat way more too. That's AFTER the long plane ride home. You are definitely right that the staff isn't real happy with the latest developments in Sultan's bodily functions. I can't blame them with so many children to watch over.
I'm sure Kyle will update this posting more in the morning, as he's taken the lead on the blog lately, but I just thought I'd post this for now. Are there other questions we can answer?
Sarah, Mom tells me that Alice broke her ankle playing soccer. Poor kid! Give her a kiss and a hairy eyeball stare for me! And best to Aunt Anne & Uncle Henry.
xoxo, bye all,
S

1 Comments:
Hey Mel! Welcome to the blog! Glad you've been reading & now commenting. Thanks for the vote of confidence in the poop department! :)
What's JSL's inteview for? My fingers are crossed! And why has life been so busy??
Love to you and your parents. KEt them know they can read the blog too if they're inclined!
xoxo,
S
Post a Comment
<< Home